Search Engine Optimization
How to Optimize an Website will be shared in details
Search Engine Optimization:
Planning SEO of a Website ,
Monitoring SEO Process / Learning SEO tools
what is search engine?
- search engine is a back-end complex AI robot program that facilitates the process to find relevant websites against a search string or word or phrase placed at front-end by online users .
- example – googlebot, yahoo slurp, bing, ask, baidoo etc
- the page where the results are shown is called SERP or search engine result page
what is seo?
Seo is the structured process to understand how search engines work and keeping the customer experience in mind, working on your website continuously, to provide better customer experience and achieving better rank in SERP against your business keywords by ethical SEO is an ongoing activity, slow process and you need patience to see major visible progress.
Anatomy of a SERP
- paid text ads, ecommerce ads etc at top or side
- organic ranks against a keyword and volume of search result
- search snippet, cached copy, sitelinks etc
- google local listing
- news, images, personalized search
- knowledge graph
- rich snippets
How search engines work?
- crawl – they come and visit a webpage by reading the source code in html from top to bottom and derive meaning by LSI/RTS method and jump to other pages by following links.
- cache or index – they take a copy of the page to their server for
search index – their algorithms evaluate similar web pages against their pre defined evaluation parameters ( mainly web structure)
what is LSI?
latent semantic indexing – it’s a process how search engines read and interprete meaning from a word, words, phrases or pattern in a web page. They try to derive thematic meaning from the words & synonyms while crawling from top of the page and then evaluate if their guess is right or wrong by reading rest of the content upto bottom of the Easier for them to derive meaning, better chance to get ranks in SERP against the related keywords.
what is keyword?
- keyword is a word or phrase that is relevant to your business and to your webpage and if you get a better rank in SERP against it, there is better chance to get more
- types – single, double and long tail (3 or more than 3 words)
- long tail keywords are better for conversion
- you can target 1 to 3 keywords per
How to do keyword research?
- manual method ( find out primary, related, entity and local keywords and combine them)
- google instant, universal & regional search
- competitive research in SERP
- related searches at bottom of serp
- google adwords keyword planner, wordstream or wordtracker
- target long tail keywords with moderate search volume and moderate
How to do competitive research?
- find your competitor by searching your long tail keywords
- see their features, content structure, no. of indexed pages (site:example.com, more no. of indexed pages, better chance of getting ranks) and popularity (what other websites are talking about them, just google your competitor’s name & you can see in SERP from what other websites they are getting links)
basic html structure of a page
- <head> – most seo tags reside here
- <body>- content goes here
on-page seo fundamentals
- title tag
- meta description & meta keywords
- breadcrumb & permalink url
- H1 tag, h2 to h6 tags & alt tags
- content length & uniqueness
- keyword proximity, consistency, density
- contextual links
- code to text ratio
key points to remember
- title – 40-59 char with space, kw at beginning, hyphen or pipe as separator, unique per page
- meta desc – 120-159 char with space, kw & synonym to repeat, catchy for better ctr, unique
- h1 must be 1 per page, containing kw, 80 char
- 3-5 h2 tags containing main kw & related words
- alt tag must contain kw+ name of the image
- content length 350-1000 words including
- density must be 1-2% for long tail, single <7%, double<4%
- code to text ratio must be above 15%
- 3-5 contextual link in 500 words content with a 80:20 ratio for internal vs external link
- don’t use the main keyword as anchor text
- 1 page must be optimized for 1-3 kw